Information for New Owners
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU BUY PROPERTY
New property owners often rely on their title company, real estate agent, or other representative to properly record and assess their property. The final responsibility is still yours, as the new owner, to see that all the necessary steps have been completed.
The Steps are:
- Record your deed in the Probate Office.
- Assess the property in the Assessing Department.
- Claim any exemptions due to you.
- If your mortgage company has agreed to pay your property taxes, a copy of the tax statement should be mailed to the company as soon as it is received. This will give them complete information to pay the bill for your property.
- Report all address changes promptly to the Assessing Department.