Calhoun County Highway Department
160 Seaton Drive
Anniston, Alabama 36205
Fax (256) 237-2009
Located at McClellan in the Industrial area near the Alabama National Guard enclave.
Office hours are 6:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, closed Holidays.
The County Highway Department is responsible for all activities involving Calhoun County's 865-mile County Highway system. This system is split into 50 miles of County Highways, which were constructed with state and federal funds, and 815 miles of County Roads, which are financed mostly by local taxes. There are 162 bridges over 20 feet in length under county jurisdiction that are also included on these routes. Personnel in the organization (totaling approximately 75 full-time) are divided into three main divisions: Engineering, Equipment/Shop, and Maintenance.
- Manages Federal Aid Bridge and Roadway rehabilitation projects.
- Reviews and approves utility permits.
- Manages annual paving and resurfacing projects.
- Manages FHWA & State Bridge Inspection Program.
- Oversee Vegetation Management Program.
- Maintain pavement, signs, and shoulders.
- Mow roadsides, clean drainage ditches.
- Maintain, repair, and install drainage culverts.
- Grading of dirt roads.
- Construct shoulders and widen existing roads.
- Installation of turnouts (permit required).
- Maintain all Highway Department vehicles and construction equipment.
- Move equipment to areas around the county as needed.